O.k., for those of you who dislike “rumours”, and “insiders”, and “sources”, I’d advise you take a pass on this one. Save yourself the eye rolling injuries, lol!
I had a very insightful conversation with someone within the NHL, but NOT associated with any of the teams I’m going to mention. So, therefore, NONE of this information came to me first hand. But, the person with whom I was speaking did receive this information from persons either directly, or closely involved in these discussions.
The fact of the matter remains that, unless you are directly involved in these discussions, there is no way to know anything “leaked” out of these discussions is true, or entirely accurate, for obvious reasons. I do not have any involvement, or access to those directly involved in any upper management actions anywhere in the NHL.
BUT, I personally believe what I am about to write to be reasonably accurate, based upon the person from whom the information was received, and the “reasonable” test.
Judge for yourselves.
Dany Heatley will NOT play for the Senators next season. He has made this perfectly clear to all involved. He has left the team, and will refuse to report, if necessary.
It will not be necessary, as he WILL be traded before camp opens.
Two deals are on the table, both have been accepted by the GM’s involved.
One from the Oilers, which has been “delayed” by Heatley, as the Oilers do not represent one of his “preferred” destinations
One from the Sharks, which has been “delayed” by Marleau, who does not want to leave SJ.
Yes, you heard me, Marleau.
You see, this is a Mexican stand-off of sorts, all being controlled by the two players owning restricted movement clauses.
Heatley wants out of Ottawa, and into SJ. He knows SJ wants him, but cannot make a trade without moving salary. That salary is Marleau, who, because of family issues, does not wish to leave SJ. He isn’t against Ottawa, per se, he simply has no wish to leave SJ.
This is why the Oilers remain involved, and why the Heatley camp has not permanently refused the trade to Edmonton. The Oilers are Heatleys fall back position.
The Oilers know this, and are willing to wait, believing Marleau will ultimately refuse to waive his NTC.
So, Heatley, with his NMC, has prevented the Oilers and Sens from consummating a deal both GM’s approve.
Marleau, with his NTC, has prevented the Sharks and Sens from consummating a deal both GM’s approve.
Barring a new entrant into the fray, either Marleau or Penner will be skating on the Sens left wing come next season.
This could all go down now, or the day prior to training camp.
The fact is, the Oilers have no options other than Heatley, in regards to an elite scoring winger, so they’ll ride this out.
The Sharks have no option other than Heatley, and must convince Marleau to leave (which is why they’ve threatened to strip him of his captaincy if he remains).
The Sens know they will have one of Penner, Marleau, or Heatley (dressed or suspended) come training camp, and are willing to accept any of the three.
I believe this to be true.